Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love blueberry or cranberry muffins and adding wild rice sounded interesting. Muffins are also so easy to eat on the go! Berries can be fresh or frozen but do not thaw. Recipe from Taste of Home Baking Classics cookbook sent to me by mikekey, my spring 2009 cookbook swap partner.
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml wild rice, cooked
- 118.29 ml blueberries
- 118.29 ml cranberries
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, stir to combine.
- In another large bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add the flour mixture and stir until moistened. Gently fold in rice, blueberries, and cranberries.
- Fill a greased or paper lined muffin cup 2/3 full. Place in a 375 degree oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes than remove and place on a wire rack to continue cooling. Store in refrigerator.
These are really good, but if you like sweet muffins (which I don't) than you should up the sugar to taste, especially with the tart cranberries (which I love). The rice gives these a nuttiness and some chewy texture. I used all cranberries as I don't care for blueberries. Glad I gave you that cookbook and you posted these, Lori! Made for tag game at Kittencalskitchen.
These are crazy WOW delicious. I cooked 1/3 cup wild rice with 1 cup water and my rice came out perfect for this. I used fresh blueberries and frozen cranberries. I also tried about 1/2 cup of my gluten-free flour Gluten-Free Flour Mix with the remaining all-purpose flour. The result of these muffins is that one wasn't enough! These are sooooo good. Thanks, lauralie! Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap #65, Group 2.
Wild rice is something new to me, so thought I would buy a couple of cup-size boxes and give them a try. So glad I picked this recipe to try one of them out on. Out of 3 grandkids (one super picky), my daughter and myself we all gave rave reviews on this. I loved that they weren't super sweet. I used sour milk only because I didn't have any buttermilk and largely chopped pecans because I didn't have the fruit and they were still awesome! This is going into my favorites file!