Recipe by windywood
The Northwoods Inn here in California has the best cheese spread. It can be made ahead and refrigerated until you crave a recipe of gooey broiled cheese bread. The restaurant shared the recipe years ago and I want to save it safely here. I've added Parmesan to the recipe because I like the nutty flavor. I've been making it for 30 years.
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 12 slices French bread or 12 slices sourdough bread, day old works great
- 3 ounces shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften butter to room temperature and mix in all ingredients except cheese. When well mixed, fold in grated cheddar cheese and optional Parmesan, if using.
- Spread over bread and broil until bubbly – watch carefully! Cheese does not melt completely. Mixture will turn golden brown in about a minutes or so.
- I make ahead and store in refrigerator for 4 weeks. I suppose you could store it longer, but it just doesn't last past snack time at my house.