Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A regional Pacific Northwest dish that is oh so good. Cook time is chill time. Posted for Zaar World Tour III. *NOTE* I added some Splenda to the yougurt-sour cream mix.
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bartlett pears (about 1 pound)
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, sour cream, juice, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle yogurt mixture over celery mixture; toss gently.
- Peel, core, and chop pears.
- Add pears to salad, and toss gently. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Delightful! Fresh and crisp, with a nice Fresh Pear taste. I used pecans, that's what I had on hand. Will certainly make again. Yummmm. Thanks for sharing this little jewel.
I really enjoyed this salad. I made a smaller size for myself at home, but think I may make it again for Thanksgiving for everyone. I may try Pattikay's suggestion and try a little brandy to soak the pears in ahead of time for a different twist. ;) It was fine just the way it is. Thanks for a great flavor of the Pacific NW, Annacia!! **Made for 1-2-3 tag**
A nice variation of Waldorf salad. I used cashews instead of hazelnuts and added a bit of sugar. My DS thought that maybe the pears should be soaked in something before mixing because he thought they were overshadowed by the other ingredients. I might try a bit of amaretto next time. Thanks for posting!