Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This savory flank steak marinade with soy sauce, garlic, sesame, and ginger makes for a good week night dinner because the flank steak is marinated ahead of time, marinate 4 hours to 2 days. Serve with a simple green salad and grilled vegetables. The recipe comes from Sunset.
- 2 lbs beef flank steak, fat trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Rinse flank steak and pat dry; In a 1-gallon zip lock bag or large bowl, mix the soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, green onions, sesame seeds, garlic, pepper, and ginger; Add the steak, seal bag or cover bowl tightly, and chill, turning occasionally, at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Lift steak from the bag and let drain briefly.
- Place meat on a grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds); close lid on gas grill.
- Cook steak, turning occasionally to brown evenly, for medium-rare, 9 to 12 minutes, (still pink in center),Transfer steak to a platter and let stand 10 minutes, cut meat across grain into thin slanting slices,.
This was a very good. We all liked it. The flavor was a little milder than we expected, but it was very tasty. It was reminiscent of some Korean marinades I've used, but without the chilis and with olive oil instead of sesame oil. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Barb!
Made using the flank of a deer. Used veg. oil and sesame oil. did not use sesame seeds. Marinated for two days. Was absolutely delicious!
The only thing I left out were the sesame seeds, didn't have any. I only marinated it 4 hours and it was still wonderful. BBQ'd it 6 mins. per side and it was just right for us med-rare.