Ashley U's Note:
My two favorite things: dungeness crab and curry meet together to make an unusual, but lovely curry. Very romantic, and it would be great treat for a dinner-date. This recipe is from "Pacific Passions Cookbook" by Karen Barnaby.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) live dungeness crabs
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons bright red sweet paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into thin half-moons
- 5 garlic cloves, cut into thin slivers
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Drop in the crabs and cook until they stop moving, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3Remove the crabs from the pot and cool.
- 4When they are cool enough to handle, pull of and discard the top shell.
- 5Scrape the insides clean with a small spoon.
- 6Remove the spongy lungs on both sides of the body.
- 7With a heavy knife, cut the crabs in quarters and crack the claws; set aside.
- 8Heat a small frying pan over medium heat.
- 9Toast the coriander seeds and peppercorns, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, then grind finely in a spice mill or coffee grinder.
- 10Place in a bowl and add the paprika, cayenne and turmeric; set aside.
- 11Heat the oil over medium heat in a frying pan or pot that will be able to accommodate the crab pieces.
- 12Fry the black mustard seeds until they pop.
- 13Add the onions and garlic and cook until lightly browned.
- 14Stir in the spice mixture and the water.
- 15Bring to a boil, and then simmer until the mixture is reduced by half.
- 16Add the coconut milk and bring to boil.
- 17Season with salt and add the crab.
- 18Cook for 5 minutes, turning the pieces over to ensure even cooking.
- 19Remove from the heat and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Northwest Dungeness Crab Curry
Serving Size: 1 (1434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1700.8
- Calories from Fat 987
- Total Fat 109.6 g
- Saturated Fat 69.8 g
- Cholesterol 401.2 mg
- Sodium 2225.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 132.6 g