Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour. These are a type of current cake/scone. Recipe is adapted from "Favourite English recipes- Traditional fare from around the Counties'. If you make it before I do, I would very much appreciate your feedback. Serving size and time is are complete guess-timates since I haven't made these myself yet. Northumbria is in the most north eastern corner of England. ZWT REGION: England.
- 1 lb self raising flour (450g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter (225g)
- 4 ounces sugar (110g)
- 4 ounces currants (110g)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 ounces milk (150 ml OR 10 Tablespoons)
- Sift salt and flour together, rub in butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar and currants.
- Make a well in the middle of this mixture and add the milk and eggs, stir gently until combined.
- Knead lightly on a lightly floured surface and roll out until it is about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm)thick.
- Cut into small rounds and cook on a well greased griddle for 4-5 minutes each side or until light golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter.
I made these griddle cakes for breakfast, to eat while we watched the Rugby World Cup 2015 final, at 4am today. I mixed the dry ingredients except the baking powder, and rubbed the butter in last night. So all I had to do this morning was beat the eggs and milk, and then add the baking powder at the last minute, when we got up. Worked very well, and everyone enjoyed the little cakes. I usually make what we call "Welsh plugs" but did not want all the cinnamon and spice so early in the morning. And we won the RWC final too!
I don't know why these little pancakes had to be molded when their dough is too soft and can just be dropped by a spoonful on the griddle. I even chilled them a bit to make it a bit moldable and I wasn't a able to roll them out because of their soft texture so just flattened them using a spatula, used a cookie cutter, sliding the spatula underneath it to support the dough when transferring it to the griddle then pushed the dough out. Taste wise, they were good but nothing spectacular. The currants gave it a nice flavor but DH found this griddle cake a bit boring. Thanks for letting us try this though.