Recipe by French Tart
I grew up with this, as well as the meat version which is called Panackelty, (Panackelty - My Grandma's Baked Corned Beef and Potatoes). It is a cheap and cheerful supper dish, that would satisfy the hungriest of workers and families. Layers of potatoes are fried with onions and cheese for a delectable supper dish, and one of my all time favourites. Historical note: This is a traditional Northumberland supper dish which is said to have taken its name from the French 'Hachis', meaning to chop or slice. Traditionally Pan Haggerty is always served directly from the pan in which it is cooked.
Top Review by breezermom
Scalloped potatoes in a skillet! Quick and easy to make, and smells great while cooking! I halved the recipe, and was in a bit of a dilemma by not having an amount of butter.....so i just guesstimated and came up with what I thought would work. I added a bit of butter to each layer as well....but then again, maybe I didn't add enough to the skillet to start with! Used a mix of sharp and mild cheddar, with a bit of edam cheese thrown in because I had some that needed using. Next time I'll garnish with some fresh chopped chives or green onions. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 -4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 -6 ounces grated cheddar cheese or 4 -6 ounces lancashire cheese or 4 -6 ounces cheshire cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice the potatoes with a mandolin; also slice the onions and cheese as thinly as possible. Add the butter to a large frying pan and melt on low heat. When the butter is just melted, remove the pan from the heat and place alternating layers of potatoes, onions and cheese in the pan (reserving a little cheese for the topping), seasoning between each layer.
- Cover and cook gently for about half an hour until the potatoes and onions are cooked through. Add the remaining cheese on top, season and place under a pre-heated grill. Cook until the topping is golden brown and bubbling then serve straight from the pan.
- Serve with salad or steamed greens.