Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This fabulous raw kale salad, is from Chef Nathan Foot of New York's Northern Spy Food Co. The trick is cutting the leaves into thin strips and hand- mixing them vigorously with olive oil, salt, and lemon juice which has a delicious tenderizing effect.
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped kale (preferably Tuscan or black kale) or 2 1⁄2 cups shredded kale (preferably Tuscan or black kale)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, halved
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled good-quality, aged cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cubed seasoned, and roasted kabocha squash or 1⁄2 cup butternut squash
- pecorino romano cheese (optional) or another hard cheese, for shaving (optional)
- Cut off the bottom stems from the bunch of kale and discard. Remove stems from the individual leaves by folding each leaf in half and cutting away the stem at the fold. Stack several stemmed leaves together at a time, roll stack into a tight cylinder, and slice the cylinder crosswise at 1/4-inch intervals.
- Add the resulting kale strips to a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and, using your hands, mix well. Mix in the almonds, Cheddar, and cubed squash.
- Divide salad onto 2 plates. Finely grate Pecorino, if desired, and serve.