Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nice meatball recipe from northern Italy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 slice dry bread, without the crust, soaked in
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, to fry
- In a small saucepan add the squeezed bread cook it until creamy adding a little bit of the milk at the time, it should be about 1/3 cup.
- Let it cool.
- In a bowl combine the meat with the parmesan, the parsley, the garlic, the salt, the bread mixture and lastly the egg.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the meat at a time and roll it into a ball and then flatten it down a bit.
- Continue until the meat is finished, approximately 20 meatballs.
- Dip the meatballs, into the beaten egg (the remaining egg) and then coat them with the bread crumbs.
- Heat a 1/2 inch olive oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Cook the meatballs on both sides a few at a time until golden brown.
- Remove the meatballs and set them on paper towel to absorb the excess oil, sprinkle them with salt and serve.
These meatballs were very juicy with a nice crust from the breadcrumbs. I used Panko crumbs. They stayed together during browning with no problem. I am not sure but my meatballs were not cooked all the way threw once reaching the browness I liked. Could have been the size of mine or that I did not flatten them enough? I placed them in the oven for 15min at 375 degrees. Thank you Shadows I will be making these again.