This special you will find in the area of Trieste. It's easy and a simple dish, with exploding aroma...
- Cut pumpkin in wedges and let roast until tender in the oven at 200°C (45min.).
- Transfer cooled, mashed pumpkin to a bowl, add potatoes, flour, salt, pepper, 50g parmesan and the two eggs until a firm dough forms (amount of flour can vary according to egg size).
- Form dough to long rolls and cut into pieces (about 1,5 cm).
- Bring salted water to a boil and cook gnocchi until they rise to the surface.
- Melt butter in a pan and add sage. Let sage fry a bit.
- Garnish the gnocchi with sage butter and sprinkle with parmesan (or smoked ricotta).
Possibly, my favorite flavor combination---pumpkin and sage! Sprinkling a few toasted chopped pecans on the finished dish adds a nice crunch and flavor, too,