Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe I have used as a launching pad, so to speak, which is originally Barbara Piatoni's recipe.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 3 lbs ground round
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (1 lb) package jumbo pasta shells
- 2 cups tomato sauce (your own or ready made, I used Barilla Al Forno Sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place frozen spinach in strainer and run under hot water until thawed.
- Squeeze all the water out and place in large bowl.
- In large sauté pan,add in 1/2 olive oil, sauté onions & mushrooms, for at least 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Remove from sauté pan and add ground round,oregano, Italian seasoning and 1 bay leaf, until browned.
- Drain meat and place in the same bowl with spinach.
- Stir in the cream cheese, onion mixture, meat and spinach until well combined.
- Add grated cheese, salt and pepper, to taste, and combine.
- Let mxiture cool and then add eggs; the filling can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Cook pasta shells, according to pkg directions.
- Drain and cool to the touch.
- Stuff the shells with the meat mixture.
- Place shells in large baking pan and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Use some more more of the Parmiagiano-Reggiano and sprinkle over the top; place in oven again and cook for 1-3 minutes longer.
- Serve with a nice glass of red wine and a tossed green salad!