1 hr 25 mins
This is the recipe I have used as a launching pad, so to speak, which is originally Barbara Piatoni's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 3 lbs ground round
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (1 lb) package jumbo pasta shells
- 2 cups tomato sauce (your own or ready made, I used Barilla Al Forno Sauce)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- 2Place frozen spinach in strainer and run under hot water until thawed.
- 3Squeeze all the water out and place in large bowl.
- 4In large sauté pan,add in 1/2 olive oil, sauté onions & mushrooms, for at least 5 minutes or until tender.
- 5Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- 6Remove from sauté pan and add ground round,oregano, Italian seasoning and 1 bay leaf, until browned.
- 7Drain meat and place in the same bowl with spinach.
- 8Stir in the cream cheese, onion mixture, meat and spinach until well combined.
- 9Add grated cheese, salt and pepper, to taste, and combine.
- 10Let mxiture cool and then add eggs; the filling can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- 11Cook pasta shells, according to pkg directions.
- 12Drain and cool to the touch.
- 13Stuff the shells with the meat mixture.
- 14Place shells in large baking pan and cover with the tomato sauce.
- 15Cover with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- 16Use some more more of the Parmiagiano-Reggiano and sprinkle over the top; place in oven again and cook for 1-3 minutes longer.
- 17Serve with a nice glass of red wine and a tossed green salad!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Northern Italian Pasta Shell Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1293.0
- Calories from Fat 720
- Total Fat 80.0 g
- Saturated Fat 36.6 g
- Cholesterol 319.4 mg
- Sodium 1052.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 67.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: