I actually got this recipe in my home-ec class in high school. My BF (and my ex-BF) loved this soup so much! It is perfect for cold fall days, and makes enough to warm up a family. So creamy! You can sub half and half for the heavy cream to save on calories, but the soup doesn't come out as thick so I just try to eat healthy the rest of the day to make up for it :)
- .In a large soup pot over medium-high heat combine chicken broth, butter, celery, potatoes, scallions, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- .In a small bowl dissolve cornstarch in the water, and slowly stir into the soup. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cream or half and half slowly while stirring the soup.
- Once combined, simmer for 1 minute then turn off heat and serve.
Very nice soup that will be welcome as the days get cooler with fall on the way. Nice and creamy. After reading Jess4's review I did add cooked bacon (including drippings) and chopped sauted onions to the mixture. It gave good flavor and was enjoyed by both myself and DH. Made for the Irish leg of the Virtual British Isle Tour - 09
This is a good basic soup. It was a tad on the bland side, so I added some bacon and chives at the table. It came together very quickly and I liked the celery in it. Made and reviewed for PAC Fall 2008.