I actually got this recipe in my home-ec class in high school. My BF (and my ex-BF) loved this soup so much! It is perfect for cold fall days, and makes enough to warm up a family. So creamy! You can sub half and half for the heavy cream to save on calories, but the soup doesn't come out as thick so I just try to eat healthy the rest of the day to make up for it :)
- .In a large soup pot over medium-high heat combine chicken broth, butter, celery, potatoes, scallions, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- .In a small bowl dissolve cornstarch in the water, and slowly stir into the soup. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cream or half and half slowly while stirring the soup.
- Once combined, simmer for 1 minute then turn off heat and serve.