Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very quick soup to make if you are in a hurry. Serve with corn bread or bread sticks.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can carrots, diced, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- hot sauce
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil or butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and celery and saute until tender.
- Stir in sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly seared.
- Add beans, carrots, parsley, broth, shells and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a few drops of hot sauce, if desired, and stir until blended.
I used sliced leftover carrots in place of canned. I did add some thyme and marjoram to it becase it seemed missing something when I tasted it. Next time I will saute a little garlic in it too. Made for PAC Spring 2007.