Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delectable blend of flavours that is not as spicy hot as you might assume from reading the recipe, because the spices are nicely tempered by the delicate sweetness of the maple.
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup (please do not substitute)
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Fire up the grill!
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the first six ingredients; set aside.
- Rinse the Cornish hens.
- Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Split each hen in half, and brush them with olive oil.
- Rub the hen halves with the spice mixture, coating them well.
- Grill over medium-hot coals or broil in an aluminum foil lined broiler pan 12-14 minutes per side or until done.
- Gently but generously brush with maple syrup and grill or broil for 3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with scallion slices before serving.