Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Native American Classified as Contemporary Northeast Woodland Region
Make and share this Northeast Woodland Savory Venison Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs trimmed venison, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup wild mushroom, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely crumbled dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon any hot sauce (such as tabasco)
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups meat stock
- 8 ounces prepared salsa
- In a large cast-iron skillet or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add venison.
- and quickly brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Add onion, garlic, and potatoes, stirring well. Add remaining ingredients, blending and stirring well.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the venison and potatoes are tender. Balance the seasonings to your taste. If stew ends up to spicy, serve with sour cream.
- Hot sauce recommended Tabasco.
- Salsa, any type: Mild or according to taste.