Chef #208121's Note:
Native American Classified as Contemporary Northeast Woodland Region
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 1/2 lbs trimmed venison, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup wild mushroom, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon finely crumbled dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon any hot sauce (such as tabasco)
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups meat stock
- 8 ounces prepared salsa
- 1In a large cast-iron skillet or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add venison.
- 2and quickly brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Add onion, garlic, and potatoes, stirring well. Add remaining ingredients, blending and stirring well.
- 3Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the venison and potatoes are tender. Balance the seasonings to your taste. If stew ends up to spicy, serve with sour cream.
- 4Hot sauce recommended Tabasco.
- 5Salsa, any type: Mild or according to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Northeast Woodland Savory Venison Stew
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.4 mg
- Sodium 337.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.7 g