Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A plain cake flavoured with nutmeg and caraway seeds which was traditionally served at sheep shearing time.
- 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ounce caraway seed
- Set the oven to 350ºF or mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Place the eggs in a bowl set over a saucepan of hot water and whisk until fluffy, then whisk into the butter mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mixture, together with the nutmeg.
- Add the caraway seeds and combine well.
- Turn into a greased and lined 8 inch round cake tin and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, covering the top with a piece of kitchen foil if it appears to be browning too quickly.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.