Recipe by echo echo
A frozen dessert combining the sweetness of cherries with the saltiness of pretzels. In Step 3, I freeze overnight. Cooking time is really chilling time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Wasn't going to at first, but then decided to make a bit of a change by doubling the amount of pie filling & almond extract AND then adding to it 1/4 cup of toasted almonds! Then, instead of 'frosting' the ice cream with this topping, I served it on the side so that each person could add as much or as little as they wanted! A REALLY WINNER AROUND HERE, & a definite keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of the Pie theme in My-3-Chefs]
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed pretzel sticks (about 5 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pretzel crumbs with butter, mix well, and pat into bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate.
- Chill about 1 hour.
- Soften ice cream slightly, spoon into shell and freeze until firm (at least 1 hour).
- About 20 minutes before serving, combine cherry filling and almond extract, spread over pie and return to the freezer 15 minutes.
- Remove pie; let sit at room temp about 5 minutes until just soft enough to cut into wedges.
- Alternative: Refrigerate cherry pie filling while pie freezes; mix w/ almond extract and spread on pie 5 minutes before serving.