6 hrs 30 mins
Brunswick stew is my favorite southern food and a traditional side at pig-pickins (BBQs). When i was growing up in Rome, GA I would eat this at picknics and festivals. This recipe was a photocopy of a photocopy from some southern cooking magazine that came from our very southern cleaning lady. I always cook a big pot and freeze most of it for quick dinners. It takes all day to cook, but can be made in sections ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby lima beans, undrained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1Bring 2 quarts water and chicken to a boil in a Dutch; reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until tender.
- 2Remove chicken and set aside. Reserve 3 cups broth in Dutch oven. (Reserve remaining broth for other uses.).
- 3Pour lima beans and liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into Dutch oven. Reserve beans; add tomato to Dutch oven.
- 4Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook stirring often, 40 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-third.
- 5Skin, bone, and shred chicken. Mash reserved beans with a potato masher.
- 6Add chicken, mashed and frozen beans, potato, and onion to Dutch oven. Cook over low heat, stirring often, 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- 7Stir in corn and remaining ingredients; cook over low heat, stirring often, 1 hour.
- 8(Optional) 30 minutes before it is done I whisk the stew with an electric mixer for a more traditional smooth texture. I like to leave some chunks.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North Georgia Brunswick Stew
Serving Size: 1 (799 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.9
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 1524.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 42.4 g