Alan in SW Florida's Note:
This always reminds me of the first time, many years ago, when I ate Veal Piccata at a wonderful, tiny, but always busy, Italian trattoria in Boston's North End. It has been one of my favorite dishes ever since - especially once I discovered how absolutely simple it is to make Veal Piccata at home. However, it is important to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go, because this recipe comes together quickly. Also, for those of you who like capers in your Veal Piccata (I don't), add a tablespoon full at the time you add the lemon juice. MANGIA!!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb veal scallops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6 lemon slices, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, plus sprigs for garnish (flat-leaf parsley)
- 1If the veal is more than a 1/4-inch thick, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a flat mallet or the bottom of a small, heavy pan to flatten. Dry well on paper towels. Sprinkle both sides of the veal scallops with the salt and pepper; then dredge lightly in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Saute' the veal in 2 batches over medium to medium-high heat until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove with tongs to a plate, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- 3Add the minced shallots to the skillet and cook, for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Cook briskly until the liquid is reduced by one-third, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon slices. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- 4Return the veal and any accumulated juices to the sauce. Stir in the chopped parsley, and simmer to heat through before serving the veal with the sauce, garnished with parsley sprigs.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North End Veal Piccata
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.9
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 112.6 mg
- Sodium 104.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 22.8 g