Recipe by nitko
This is how beef is sautéed in Northern parts of Croatia. It is similar to goulash recipe, only you get the whole beef schnitzels not just some parts of beef meat. This is the way how I prepare this meal and I have learned it from my mother and her from her mother etc. …
- 1000 g beef (schnitzels)
- 500 g onions
- 15 g lard (or oil)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (red, dried, sweet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (red, dried, hot)
- 15 g salt
- 10 g pepper
- 1 cup wine (white, dry)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 50 g sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté finely minced onion on lard until become translucent. Add before thinned schnitzels and season them with salt and pepper. Sauté it until meat starts to leave juices and than add wine.
- Cook until alcohol evaporates and add paprikas (sweet and hot), thyme and caraway seeds. Stir and add water if necessary. Meat must be covered with liquid.
- Cook covered on low fire at least 60 minutes checking if there is enough liquid in it.
- About 10 minutes before end (meat should be soft) carefully add some flour to coagulate juices but be careful not to put it too fast – stir all the time. Some put sour cream in it some not: sour cream will reduce hotness if you put too much hot paprika. Serve with all kinds of pasta or potato.