Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
It is obvious Hungarian and Austrian influence in this meal. Anyway, this is how we do it in Croatia.
- 1000 g red cabbage (head)
- 1 tablespoon lard (or oil)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (white)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 200 ml white wine
- Slice the cabbage into 1 cm wide stripes.
- Melt sugar on lard until brown (caramel).
- Add wine, cabbage, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook gently until sugar melts (when you add wine sugar will become hard – do not worry – it will melt).
- Add water to prevent burning. At first you will think your pot is too small, but eventually the cabbage will get smaller.
- Cook about 45 minutes or until cabbage is soft. Eat with pork chops, sausages or BBQ.