1/6 Photos of North Croatian Mushrooms and Pasta Casserole
1 hr 30 mins
This is one of the traditional meals of poor people from North Croatia. Croatian forests are full with various kinds of mushrooms. One of the famous is “vrganj” which can grow up to 1 kg and more. Smaller are much better though. Usually we make our own pasta, flat and without ornaments, but macaroni or farfalle will do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook pasta according to manufacturer manual and when cooked put aside.
- 2Soak dried mushrooms in water about 20 minute Slice cultivated mushrooms into small leaves. Cut wild mushrooms into small pieces. Finely slice onion. Sauté onion on butter and when soft add all mushrooms. Season with salt. Sauté it until all water evaporates. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- 3For béchamel sauce, melt 50 g butter and add 2 tablespoons flour. When it starts to foam add milk slowly and continue to cook on low heat until sauce become creamy. Add salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- 4Remove from heat and wait to become warm (about 40°C), add 1 egg and 50 g grated cheese. Mix and add sautéed mushrooms.
- 5Take a casserole pot, coat it with butter and lay pasta. Cover pasta with mushroom sauce and mix a little just to level everything. Cover with sour cream and bake it on 200°C about 20-30 minute When ready, leave it to cool for 5 minutes and than serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North Croatian Mushrooms and Pasta Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 853.8
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.9 mg
- Sodium 980.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 28.3 g