1/5 Photos of North Croatian Deer Goulash
2 hrs 20 mins
This goulash is very nice and heavy meal, suitable for winter period. Usually we use roe-deer (female, preferably young) because meat is tender. You can use second class parts of meat, muscles. We also put flour noodles (see Croatian flour noodles here on Zaar), but you can put potato pieces in it. If you put flour noodles in it, they must be small.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1000 g deer (no bones)
- 100 g bacon (pancetta)
- 250 g onions
- 40 g lard or 40 g oil
- 2 teaspoons red paprika (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon red hot paprika (ground)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 g whole cloves
- 5 g juniper berries
- 5 g dried thyme
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups game stock
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1If you have old deer it is recommended to keep the meat one day in marinade (wine and seasoning: put all seasoning into gauze cloth and make a small bag). If you have young deer this is not necessary.
- 2Sauté finely minced onion on lard until becomes translucent.
- 3Chop the meat into small pieces (2 – 3 cm large) and add into pot with onion. Add very finely minced pancetta.
- 4Sauté until meat becomes grayish. Add paprika, salt and pepper and mix all together.
- 5Add wine and seasoning bag and cook on easy fire about 15 minutes. Add game stock and cook 60 minutes.
- 6If you are putting potato than use two medium large potatoes, peal them and cut into small cubes and put into goulash. Cook until potato is done.
- 7If you are putting flour noodles (see recipe on Zaar) first cook them separately until they start to flow on surface, than put them into goulash and cook until done (about 20 minutes).
- 8Serve in bowl and eat with spoon.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North Croatian Deer Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.7
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 159.3 mg
- Sodium 1267.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 41.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: