Recipe by nitko
This is very old recipe from North Croatian area of Zagorje. Zagorje was very poor region (not any more) and most of the recipes reflect its social status – for example: beans were expensive, so mix it with buckwheat, turnip or sauerkraut. This meal is also energy bomb suitable for winter.
- 300 g white beans
- 250 g barley
- 100 g bacon (dried, smoked)
- 1 garlic clove
- 45 g lard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika (red, dried)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Day before soak beans in cold water.
- On D-day change the water and cook beans until almost done.
- Finely slice garlic and bacon and put it in a pot. Melt lard and fry flour until brownish together with garlic and bacon.
- Add paprika and cold water to make creamy mixture.
- Wash barley and add into the pot together with drained beans.
- Add bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cook for 30 more minutes or until beans and buckwheat are soft.
- This meal must be almost like thick soup and not too hot.