Recipe by unixx83
Great recipe that was given to me through family. Very good recipe!!! This Recipe is for 8 to 10 Lbs Boston Butt.
- 8 -10 lbs boston butt
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- THE PREP WORD.
- 1 - Mix all these ingredients together as the rub for your smoked Boston Butt. This will store for weeks in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
- 2 - Apply a thin coat of mustard to the butt. You can use the cheap stuff or if you like it a little more tangy, use dijon mustard. The mustard provides some flavor, but also provides a base for the rub to stick to.
- 3 - Generously rub your butt with the rub recipe above. Wrap it up and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator to allow the spices to penetrate the meat.
- 4 - Buy a cheap spray bottle and fill it with Apple Juice and olive oil. You will spray the Boston Butt during cooking with apple juice to add flavor and to keep it moist as you cook. I recommend the dollar tree because the spray bottle will be done after this and you can buy a new one for $1.00.
- 1 - Heat your BBQ to 225F degrees and put your butt on the grill. Indirect heat works the best and add your favorite soaked wood chips to add the smoked flavor.
- 2 - Plan on cooking the smoked Boston Butt about 60-90 minutes for every pound in the roast.
- 3 - Every 2 1/2 hours, open it up and turn the roast to ensure even cooking. Use the Spray bottle to spray your roast with combination of apple juice and olive oil to keep it moist.
- 4 - The meat is done when the internal temperature is above 190F degrees. The lower you keep the temperature, the more moist the meat will be.
- 5 - Don’t be afraid to start early because it can take longer than expected. If it gets done early, you can always wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler. It will keep warm for hours after it is done. At least let the smoked Boston Butt sit for about an hour after you take it off the grill so you don’t burn your fingers as you pull the meat.
- 6 - Serve with your favorite sides, salads, and drinks.
- You may consider cooking 2-3 smoked Boston Butts as your whole neighborhood will be stopping by to check what is cooking because of smells that will have tempted them all day long.
- Enjoy this recipe! Let us know what other recipes or tips you have for cooking the ultimate Smoked Boston Butt!