Recipe by Vicki in CT
What can be better than cheesy grits? Cheesy grits with sausage! From Charlotte NC Cooking with Class cookbook.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This was pretty good for something a little different from my normal breakfast casserole (and to help use up some sausage and some grits I had). I did make 1/4 the recipe since I only had 1/2 pound sausage and it has made about 3 meals for me with toast and fruit. Pretty easy to make and nice that it can be made ahead of time to just throw in the oven. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 lbs sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled (we use hot Jimmy Dean hot variety)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and salt to boil. Stir in grits. Return to boil, reduce heat, then cook for 4 minutes.
- In large bowl combine grits and cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cold milk, thyme, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Stir in eggs, mixing well.
- Stir in sausage.
- Pour in 13 X 9 inch pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand 15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.