Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Posted for Mary the Disturbed Stick Woman
Make and share this North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -6 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 10 -12 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Coleslaw (optional)
- 4 cups wood chips (use hickory or oak chips for the best flavor)
- BBQ Sauce:.
- In medium bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce. Divide sauce into two portions; set aside.
- Pulled Pork:.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover; drain before using. Rub meat with salt and black pepper. In a charcoal grill with a cover, place preheated coals around a drip pan for medium indirect heat. Add 1/2 inch hot water to drip pan. Sprinkle half of the drained wood chips over the coals. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill about 4 hours or until meat is very tender. Add more preheated coals (use a hibachi or a metal chimney starter to preheat coals), wood chips and hot water every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove meat from grill; cover with foil and let stand for 20-30 minutes. Using a fork, shred meat into long, thin strands. Pour sauce over shredded meat; toss to coat. Serve on toasted buns. If desired, top meat with coleslaw. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
- * Note: For gas grills, preheat and then turn off any burners directly below where the food will go. The heat circulates inside the grill, so turning the food is not necessary.
I tried this recipe using my Traeger wood pellet grill. I cooked the pork shoulder for 6 hours and the meat was absolutely wonderful. Generally, I like sour food, but for some reason this sauce doesn't agree with my taste buds. I've given this 4 stars because I've looked at other recipes for Carolina pulled pork, and the sauce recipes are all basically the same, so I have to assume that there's nothing wrong with the recipe, it just isn't for me.
This was great! Had to work so made it in crockpot for about 10 hours, shredded and another hour simmered in juice. Will make again
Totally different from our Texas BBQ - We liked it. Tangy- spicy- mmmmm Great sandwiches.