Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Dee-lish served in buns with traditional topping of coleslaw.
- 5 lbs pork shoulder, bone in
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon frshly ground black pepper
- Wrap pork shoulder in a double layer of aluminum foil, sealing well.
- Place in a roasting pan.
- Roast in a preheated 500 oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250 and continue roasting for 6-7 hours, turning the roast over every hour.
- Allow roast to cool.
- Shred meat into a large bowl, removing bone and fat.
- Simmer vinegar, ketchup, sugar, honey, cayenne, salt and pepper for 10 minutes.
- Add shredded pork to sauce and simmer additional 30-60 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated.
- Serve on split buns topped with creamy coleslaw.