Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The taste of NC barbecue in a simple crock-pot format. Even the most non-BBQ-loving folks come back for more on this one! Bubba, we ain't in Texas anymore! This is NORTH CAROLINA style!
- Remove fatback from pork. Add just enough cider vinegar to slow cooker to cover bottom. Place fat side down in crock pot on high. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar.
- Cook 2 hours then reduce heat to low and turn meat over. Sprinkle with more brown sugar.
- Cook additional 4-6 hours or until meat easily falls apart when pulled with fork.
- Drain juice/fat off meat. Shred pork with fork, add remaining cider vinegar and brown sugar. Cook additional 30 minutes.
- Add favorite BBQ sauce to taste! You won't need much sauce - the meat is so tender and tasty alone you will be amazed!
- Serve it up with rolls for sandwiches or alone with slaw and beans.
- Yield varies based on size of pork shoulder used.
I used eye of round beef roast and my DH loved it! He wanted something similar to our local Rib Country restaurant and he liked this better! Thanks for posting!