These muffins are great for breakfast, snack, or any time!! Really moist, deliciously spicy, and lightly sweet -- they are filling yet not heavy at all, and they have such a nice crunch from the sliced almonds. Healthy and yummy. They received an emphatic stamp of approval from the Picky Sibling Taste-Tester Association (though one of the extremely persnickety members did ask that the nuts be ommitted next time). :) The original recipe is from The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook, and the book's authors got it from the Havenshire Inn in Hendersonville, NC. The batter keeps well in the fridge, and baked muffins freeze well. I think these would be really good with chunky applesauce as well.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in applesauce and spices.
- Combine salt, baking soda, and flour in separate bowl; add to wet ingredients and beat well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Divide batter between 12 sprayed muffin tins and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until test done.
- Cool slightly on rack before serving.