Recipe by DailyInspiration
Serve this delicious dish with couscous. Cooking time is approximate. Another recipe from my "James McNair's Favorites" cookbook.
- 2 cups garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 6 fresh fresh cilantro stems
- 6 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh tomato, peeled, seeded, drained and chopped (or canned tomato)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and soak the beans overnight.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cinnamon, cloves and saffron and cook for about 1 minute longer. You can wrap cinnamon stick and cloves in cheese cloth for easy removal.
- Drain the beans and stir them into the pot. Add the cilantro and parsley sprigs and enough stock or water to cover by 1/2 inch. Cook until the beans are tender.
- Stir in the tomato and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves before serving.