Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Eating Well, Fall 2004 issue. I have always despised cooked carrots, but have found it's because I don't like them with added sugars or brown sugars and I really hate them mushy. This is the first cooked carrot recipe that I really like and have made it repeatedly. I modified the original recipe so that the carrots are cooked to the bare minimum, and I've bumped up a couple of the seasonings to my tastes. I use a smoked paprika that's a little spicy, which is wonderful in this, but you could use whatever you have on hand. I've also just used "baby" carrots as a timesaver.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3 cups sliced carrots (4 medium-large)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, paprika, cumin and coriander, cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 20 seconds.
- Add water, lemon juice and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until somewhat syrupy, 10-15 minutes or so, stirring often.
- Add carrots, cover and cook until just tender and the liquid is syrupy, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and lemon zest.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
I made a half recipe of these carrots, only because it was just me and my 5 year old DD eating them. I didn't read any of the reviews before trying the recipe, but now that I have, it looks like I had the same concerns as others did. DD measured the spices, which she has been doing for years, but after seeing the amount I thought maybe she got too much cumin or coriander, even though she assured me she only put in one Tbls each. After reading the other reviews here, I think she measured correctly and we would just back off a bit on the amounts next time. The final product was too spicy (in flavor, not heat) for her, but I enjoyed it. I too wondered how my carrots were going to cook in less than 5 minutes, so I cut them into large matchsticks instead of rounds, then made the recipe as written and they were perfectly al dente. Thanks for sharing this recipe, bikerchick! Made and enjoyed for the Winter 2012 African Recipe Tag Game.
We really enjoyed these carrots. I did however add the carrots at the beginning of the reduction....as the first time I made them...the carrots were a wee bit too crunchy for us. Served this with "recipe #164728" and basmati rice. Thank you for sharing. Made this for African Recipe Fun.
I made these to go with a West African menu, and they added a set of competely different spicing to my menu of Chicken and Groundnut Stew, African Chop, and rice. I did cook the carrots right away, as I like well-cooked carrots. A nice change of pace.