A "must" for nearly all Tagines, Couscous & North African recipes; I can always obtain it here in France but, as I list this in so many of my recipes I thought I would devise a "copycat" or cheat's spice mix which you can make up & have handy! It will be almost impossible to replicate this spice exactly as the orginal can contain up to 50 spices & very exotic ones such as rose petals, lavender, nigella & grains of paradise, but I have tried to incorporoate all the Traditional elements of this exotic mix, with spices that will be easily & readily available in most countries! Store it in an airtight & preferably dark tin/container, and in a cool & dry place; depending on the freshness of the spices you have used & your storage conditions, this should last for up to 6 months. You can buy this as Yellow or Red Ras-el-Hanout, I have made up the yellow version - it's the one I mainly use in my cooking! Please note - this is NOT a hot spice mix - but an aromatic & very fragrant one! If you want to "perk" it up a bit, add more cayenne pepper. I have added optional ingredients - spices which may be difficult to obtain, but if you have them, add them!! Would make a great gift too! Recipes that use Ras-el-Hanout are: Easy Crock Pot Moroccan Chicken, Chickpea and Apricot Tagine Fragrant Moroccan Beef, Date, Honey and Prune Tagine - Crock Pot and Cheat's Easy Spiced Couscous With Fruit and Nuts - in a Jar!
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rose petal
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- Mix all the spice together in a large bowl and store them in an airtight container.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Depending on the freshness of the spices used & the storage conditions, this spice mix should last for up to 6 months.
- Use in all Moroccan & North African dishes such as Tagines & Couscous; I also use this spice in preserving - recipes to be posted!
- N.B. The cornflour acts as a stabiliser for this spice mix.