Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Very tasty meatballs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground fennel
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 2 eggs, whites
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a small sauté pan.
- Sweat the onion and garlic about 5 minutes until soft but not colored.
- Add the spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Put the mixture in a bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend it together with your hands and form the mixture into 15 patties.
- Heat another sauté pan over medium heat.
- Pour in enough olive oil so it is 1/4 inch deep.
- Add half the meatballs and sauté about 8 minutes until browned on each side and cooked through.
- Remove them to a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Serve with toasted pita and harissa sauce.
Glad you posted this. I was about to so you saved me the effort. It is from Food & Wine, 2001.