1/2 Photos of North African Marinade for Flank Steak
This is a recipe I found in my "The Complete Meat Cookbook" by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. Posting for ZWT event so untried by me, but sounds like something we would enjoy. They stated: ""North African Marinade is also excellent for butterflied leg of lamb, lamb kebabs, or veal shanks. The recipe makes enough marinade for a 4 to 5-pound butterflied leg of lamb or 3 to 4 pounds of lamb or veal shank."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 2 teaspoons harissa (optional) or 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 flank steaks (1 - 1 1/4 lbs each)
- 1Combine all the ingredients except steaks in a bowl and mix well. (Marinade can be kept refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.).
- 2Pierce the steak all over on both sides with a sharp fork or skewer. Place it in a zipper-lock bag or shallow glass baking dish. Pour over the marinade and refrigerate overnight (cover if using a dish). Shake and turn the bag or turn the meat occasionally. Let it come to room temperature before cooking.
- 3TO GRILL THE STEAK:.
- 4Pat the steak dry. Grill the steak over medium-hot coals in a covered or uncovered barbecue or directly over the flames of a gas grill. Flank steak is best cooked medium-rare and should never be cooked more than medium; the internal temperature should be 130 to 135 degrees F. This should take roughly 4 to 5 minutes per side on a standard grill.
- 5Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes, covered loosely with aluminum foil, before carving into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices across the grain.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for North African Marinade for Flank Steak
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.8
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 1759.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 23.7 g