Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
I found this recipe in Cooking Pleasures magazine. Lemons are an important flavoring ingredient in North Africa. It can be hard to find the salted and preserved lemons used there, but this microwave method yields a similar flavor.
- 1 medium lemon, quartered lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, with skin on
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the quartered lemon in a glass measuring cup and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 min, or until the skin is soft and juice is released.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place garlic in a small microwave-safe cup and pour in the olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 1 min or until the garlic is soft.
- When the lemon is cool enough to handle, scrape away the flesh and pith with a teaspoon, and discard.
- Place the peel, lemon juice, garlic with oil and all remaining ingredients (except chicken) in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until a wet paste forms.
- Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag and spoon the marinade over the chicken.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Heat the grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down and grill for 4-5 minute.
- Turn the chicken over and grill for another 4-5 min, or until the juices run clear when pierced.