Tweeked to my liking. Originally called for pureeing, but I don't think a fish soup/stew should be pureed.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm white fish fillets, raw
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 -3 saffron threads, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot; saute the onions, celery, garlic, paprika, tumeric and coriander until soft and fragrant.
- Add the broth, raw fish, tomatoes, potatoes, saffron and bay leaf.
- Bring to a soft boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until potatoes are tender and fish flakes (about 15 minutes). The fish should fall into pieces with stirring.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.