1/3 Photos of Norm's Potato Cakes
Potato cakes were my dad's specialty. He often cooked them for lunch on Saturdays. I still use his recipe. To make this dish extra special, top the cooked potato cakes with a spoonful of your favorite mayonnaise (we prefer the nutty flavor of soy mayonnaise), sour cream, or ranch dressing. A sprinkling of chopped chives or finely sliced green onions or a generous shake of paprika gives a nice finishing touch. Accompanied by a crisp green salad, this makes a perfect light supper or lunch dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1Peel and grate the potatoes and the onion into a small mixing bowl.
- 2(I use the grating blade of my food processor but grating by hand works just as well.) Stir in the egg and the flour.
- 3If the batter looks to runny add a little more flour- if it is too dry, add a splash of milk.
- 4Season well with pepper and salt and any other optional ingredients.
- 5Melt oil and butter together in a medium frypan and heat until sizzling.
- 6You can now add the batter in one of two ways: Dad's Method- Add spoonfuls of batter to the pan to form circles about 8-10cm (4 inches) in diameter.
- 7Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 8Cook in batches of 2 or 3 and keep warm on a plate in an oven set on a low temperature.
- 9My Method- Tip all of the batter into the frypan and flatten it out with the back of a spoon so that it fills the whole pan evenly.
- 10Cook on one side for about 5 minutes then invert a dinner plate over the top of the pan and tip the potato cake onto the plate.
- 11Now, simply slide the cake back into the pan and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes.
- 12When both sides are cooked, invert the potato cake onto the plate again and cut it into wedges.
- 13Serve topped with mayonnaise, sour cream or ranch dressing and chopped chives or chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norm's Potato Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.7
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 398.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 10.6 g