1/3 Photos of Norm's Potato Cakes
Potato cakes were my dad's specialty. He often cooked them for lunch on Saturdays. I still use his recipe. To make this dish extra special, top the cooked potato cakes with a spoonful of your favorite mayonnaise (we prefer the nutty flavor of soy mayonnaise), sour cream, or ranch dressing. A sprinkling of chopped chives or finely sliced green onions or a generous shake of paprika gives a nice finishing touch. Accompanied by a crisp green salad, this makes a perfect light supper or lunch dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (all purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1Peel and grate the potatoes and the onion into a small mixing bowl.
- 2(I use the grating blade of my food processor but grating by hand works just as well.) Stir in the egg and the flour.
- 3If the batter looks to runny add a little more flour- if it is too dry, add a splash of milk.
- 4Season well with pepper and salt and any other optional ingredients.
- 5Melt oil and butter together in a medium frypan and heat until sizzling.
- 6You can now add the batter in one of two ways: Dad's Method- Add spoonfuls of batter to the pan to form circles about 8-10cm (4 inches) in diameter.
- 7Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 8Cook in batches of 2 or 3 and keep warm on a plate in an oven set on a low temperature.
- 9My Method- Tip all of the batter into the frypan and flatten it out with the back of a spoon so that it fills the whole pan evenly.
- 10Cook on one side for about 5 minutes then invert a dinner plate over the top of the pan and tip the potato cake onto the plate.
- 11Now, simply slide the cake back into the pan and cook on the other side for about 5 minutes.
- 12When both sides are cooked, invert the potato cake onto the plate again and cut it into wedges.
- 13Serve topped with mayonnaise, sour cream or ranch dressing and chopped chives or chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norm's Potato Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.7
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 398.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 10.6 g