Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A Breakfast Treat from Nova Scotia adapted from The Flavors of Canada by Anita Stewart
- 5 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 slices normaway porridge bread (Or Any Kind of good bakery bread)
- Whisk eggs and milk together.
- In separate bowl, combine oats, sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat butter in a skillet.
- Dip bread into egg mixture, then into spiced oats.
- Saute in pan until golden on both sides. Serve with maple syrup.
This was pretty good, but this didn't seem to take long enough for the oats to cook much. Made for ZWT4: Family Picks.
OK - This will be my ONLY go to French toast recipe from now on. We liked it exceptionally well reheated the second day - it got nice and extra crunchy. Love the texture and healthy too! Thanks
This is very yummy and the oatmeal adds a pleasing crunch to the toast. I used Splenda's brown sugar blend. With the addition of the sugar to the oats, it does take practice to get the bread cooked thru without burning but the end result is a very tasty dish. The dish was drizzled with some warmed maple syrup.