Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This traditional Southern side dish comes to us courtesy of Norma Darden, owner of Harlem, New York's popular Miss Mamie's and Miss Maude's restaurants. I learned this one from the Martha Stewart's show.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, plus more
- salted butter, for pan and serving
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 6-cup soufflé dish or casserole; set aside.
- Place 2 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and salt, and let stand until lukewarm.
- Add eggs and milk. Beat for 2 minutes, then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve hot with butter.