Top Review by MarraMamba
wow were these good..the end of my snack night, and what a great ending. I discovered to late my whipping cream had gone off so used custard cream instead of the homemade devonshire. Either way they were so light and airy and lemony without being overpowering i was thrilled. Never been to Norma's but if theirs is half as good as yours, then they deserve high prices :) Made for Newest Zaar Tag
For the Devonshire Cream
- 4.92 ml unflavored gelatin
- 118.29 ml cold water
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g carton sour cream
For the Light and Lemony Griddle Cakes
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml flour
- 354.88 ml cottage cheese, small curd
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml grated lemon zest (2 small or 1 large lemon)
- 1 lemon, juice of, large
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Devonshire Cream:.
- In a small saucepan combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water.
- Let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Heat and stir over medium heat until gelatin dissolves.
- In a chilled medium mixing bowl beat the whipping cream and the 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Do not overbeat.
- Combine cooled gelatin mixture and sour cream; mix well.
- Fold sour cream mixture into whipped cream.
- Chill for 30 to 45 minutes or until mixture thickens and will mound on a spoon.
- For the Light and Lemony Griddle Cakes:.
- In large bowl combine egg yolks, flour, cottage cheese, melted butter, sugar, salt and lemon zest and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold egg whites into batter mixture.
- Cook on large griddle (prepared with cooking spray).
- Using ¼ cup measuring cup pour batter onto hot griddle.
- Cook until bubbles form and bottoms are lightly brown.
- Turn over and cook until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove and place on serving plates.
- Serve immediately with Devonshire Cream.
- *Optional: Garnish with fresh raspberries or blueberries and powdered sugar.*.