1/3 Photos of Norman's Golden Three-Fruit Marmalade
Diana #2's Note:
Marmalade was my Father-In-Law's favourite. We never ate it because it was so bitter, so I just made it for him. Over the years, I came to discover that it was the pith and the membrane that made me turn up my nose to this glowing concoction. I can guarantee you, that if you follow my method, you will have the best bottle of sunshine you can imagine. UPDATE Aug 18/08: I'm very happy to say that this recipe won Second Place in the "Certo" category, and Third Place in the "Marmalade" category at our local fair.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the fruit, and dry. Using a zester, remove the peel (from all three), being careful not to get any pith. If you do not have a zester, use a vegetable peeler, being careful to remove *only* the zest. Then, using a sharp knife, or shears, cut the peel into fine strips. I have also grated the peel, but it doesn't look as pretty.
- 2Place the zest in a small saucepan with the water and the baking soda, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3In the meantime, slice the top and bottom of each fruit, so that it sits flat on your cutting board. Using a sharp knife and following the contour of the fruit, cut away all the pith, leaving only the pulp.
- 4While holding the fruit over a bowl (to catch all the juices), use the knife to cut out the flesh, leaving the membrane. Remember, it's the pith and the membrane that make marmalade bitter.
- 5Add the pulp and juice to the simmering zest (do not drain the zest). Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 6Measure 3 cups of the mixture and mix it together with the sugar in a large pot.
- 7Bring to a rapid boil. Stir and boil hard for 1 minute. Immediately remove the pot from the heat.
- 8Add the pouch of pectin, and stir for 10 minutes. This will cool the mixture slightly and prevent the zest from floating.
- 9Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norman's Golden Three-Fruit Marmalade
Serving Size: 1 (1878 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 224.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 205.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g