Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sounds really good, though Im not a big fan of sausage
Make and share this Norma Castro's Smothered Steak recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs flank steaks or 2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
- 4 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 chopped sweet peppers (red yellow or green)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Trim fat from meat.Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern, making shallow diagonal cuts at 1 inch intervals.Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lime peel.Wrap in plastic wrap; refridgerate 1 hour.
- For a charcoal grill, grill steak on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 17-21 minutes, for medium turning once halfway through grilling.For sirloin, allow 14-18 minutesfor medium rare. (for gas grill, preheat grill.Reduce heat to medium.Grill steak.on rack over heat.Cover and grill as above).
- Meanwhile, for pepper and sausage topper, preheat large cast iron skillet directly over medium coals.Add sausage; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add onions, peppers, and garlic.Cook for 10 minutes or until vegtables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.Stir in cilantro and vinegar.(vinegar will sizzle).
- To serve, thinly slice steak; top with peppers and sausage.