Recipe by Rachel Brooks1
A large batch recipe from the Nordstrom's Cafe.
Top Review by mythicalmoose
I worked at Nordies as a chef for a while and the pepper should be fine. You are making about 4 1/2 gallons according to this recipe. I would also recommend using fresh basil, thats what we used. Conversions for fresh to dry is 1 tbsp fresh = 1 tsp dry. One last thing, the plum tomatoes used at the stores are usually plum tomato strips by Stanislaus or Arrezzio. Try not to be cheap on the tomatoes or basil, it really makes a big difference.
- 12 cups canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 3 lbs carrots, chopped
- 3 lbs onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dry basil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 gallons water
- 1 lb chicken base
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, sautee the olive oil, carrots, and onions at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chicken base into the water until dissolved.
- Add the water mixture to the stock pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender while adding the heavy cream until it reaches a thin consistency.