Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A large batch recipe from the Nordstrom's Cafe.
Make and share this Nordstrom Tomato Basil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a large stock pot, sautee the olive oil, carrots, and onions at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chicken base into the water until dissolved.
- Add the water mixture to the stock pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender while adding the heavy cream until it reaches a thin consistency.
I worked at Nordies as a chef for a while and the pepper should be fine. You are making about 4 1/2 gallons according to this recipe. I would also recommend using fresh basil, thats what we used. Conversions for fresh to dry is 1 tbsp fresh = 1 tsp dry. One last thing, the plum tomatoes used at the stores are usually plum tomato strips by Stanislaus or Arrezzio. Try not to be cheap on the tomatoes or basil, it really makes a big difference.
FANTASTIC! I didn't have "chicken base" and am not sure what it is (chicken soup base powder?) so I just used low sodium chicken broth in place of the water. I also used more basil than called for. I added a couple tablespoons more after it was finished cooking. This was so easy to make. I prepared it for a lunch meeting and everyone raved about it - one young lady said it changed her life - ha-ha! I almost felt guilty getting all the compliments since it wasn't my recipe and it was so simple to prepare (I didn't let on to anyone though!) Thanks for the great recipe, Rachel.