1/1 Photo of Nordic potato soup with ham
Hey Jude's Note:
This soup is fantastic to come home to when you've been outside in the cold all day. This goes great with some crusty rye bread and a marinated cucumber salad....YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon dry dill weed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- dill sprigs (but good) (optional)
- 1In a 3-qt.
- 2or larger electric slow cooker, combine potatoes, onion, ham hock, dill weed, lemon peel, white pepper, and broth.
- 3Cover and cook at low setting until ham hock and potatoes are very tender when pierced (7 1/2 to 8 hours).
- 4Lift out ham hock and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 5Meanwhile, remove about 1 cup of the potatoes with a little of the broth; whirl in a blender or food processor until pureed and then return the puree to the crock-pot.
- 6In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream; blend into potato mixture.
- 7Increase cooker heat setting to high.
- 8Remove and discard fat and bone from ham; tear meat into bite-size pieces and stir into soup.
- 9Cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, for 20 more minutes.
- 10Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nordic potato soup with ham
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.8
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 500.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock