Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is great for just about anything you want to fill or top. Use it over rice, serve it in Pita's with Feta Cheese, fill pastry shells, or even have it on toast! It is very flavorful and has an Indian Flair to it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons your favorite curry powder (I use Rogan Josh)
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for you pepper bellies out there) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large, preheated heavy skillet over medium heat, brown lamb evenly.
- Drain of all fat.
- In same skillet, saute onion in olive oil until soft.
- Using mortar and pestal, grind garlic to a paste with the salt.
- Add paste to onions in skillet.
- Stir in curry powder and red pepper flakes if used.
- Return lamb to skillet and add tomato paste and broth or wine.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until flavors have blended and liquids are thickened.
I always have ground lamb in my freezer, so I was happy to find this recipe. It was very tasty and easy to make. I made this just as written, using the red wine. I served this over rice. Thanx for sharing the recipe!
One thing I dislike about lamb is the gamey flavor, and this recipe gets rid of that. It has a pleasing complex flavor. I really enjoyed this recipe, My pan was too hot when I added the wine, so it ALL evaporated instantly. I added enough more to keep the meat from sticking, and that fixed the problem. Hubby really enjoyed this when I followed the recipe exactly. The first time I made it, I added too many pepper flakes. So, if you follow the recipe, you will enjoy it I'm sure. This is a keeper!
A friend brought over some ground lamb for me to cook. Choose this recipe and was glad I did. I followed it to a "T" except increased broth to a full cup. Made spaghetti squash for her to serve this over. I have pretty much stopped eating meat but this smelled so good, I could not stop myself from eaating some. Really yummy!