Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A different way to serve scrambled eggs. Makes a lovely breakfast for two.
- 1⁄3 cup nopalitos
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, minced
- Cook nopalitos in boiling water 10 minutes. Drain.
- Combine eggs and next 4 ingredients stir well with a whisk.
- Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add the egg mixture, and cook until bottom begins to set, stirring gently to scramble.
- Stir in the tomato and nopalitos, and cook 1 minute.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in 325 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup egg mixture onto each tortilla.
- Sprinkle evenly with minced cilantro, and fold in half.
Lovely. We used flour tortillas and it made 4 or 5. Also used nopalitos from a jar since I don't have access to fresh, and used a large scoop of salsa since I didn't have a fresh tomato. They would probably be good with cheese or chorizo or bacon, but that might defeat the purpose of eating nopalitos (to reduce the risk of diabetes).
This is one of my all time favorite breakfasts to eat, as when I was in college, I ate nopalitos and eggs tacos often. It brings back great memories. Sometimes, I like to eat it along with fresh seasonal fruit. Thank you for sharing.
I found this to be a very easy and different dish to make. I've always wanted to try nopalitos, and this was the perfect opportunity. I recommend it highly for those who want to try something different and yet easy to put together.