Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Have not tried it yet, but it sounds great!
Make and share this Nopalitos Con Chili (Cactus) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 small nopalitos (should be firm 5 inch in diameter size, top sprouts of prickly pear cactus plant)
- 3⁄4 lb chuck (chuck steak)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 med.-size onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup tomato puree (29 oz. can)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon leaves oregano, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (optional)
- Wash nopalitos, watch for small thorns, use potato peeler to smooth over and remove sprouting thorns. Cut nopalitos into small cubes, wash again, drain. Set aside.
- Brown steak in oil after you have cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Use large skillet. Remove cubes with slotted spoon as they brown. Add onions, green peppers and garlic; saute stirring often, until tender. Add nopalitos to mixture, cook 3 minutes. Sprinkle chili powder over mixture; cook and stir one minute.
- Return meat to skillet; add tomatoes, water, salt and oregano; bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, reserving about half the liquid. Add beans and reserved liquid to skillet; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.