1 hr 10 mins
Little Of Everything's Note:
Have not tried it yet, but it sounds great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 small nopalitos (should be firm 5 inch in diameter size, top sprouts of prickly pear cactus plant)
- 3/4 lb chuck (chuck steak)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 med.-size onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup tomato puree (29 oz. can)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaves oregano, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (optional)
- 1Wash nopalitos, watch for small thorns, use potato peeler to smooth over and remove sprouting thorns. Cut nopalitos into small cubes, wash again, drain. Set aside.
- 2Brown steak in oil after you have cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Use large skillet. Remove cubes with slotted spoon as they brown. Add onions, green peppers and garlic; saute stirring often, until tender. Add nopalitos to mixture, cook 3 minutes. Sprinkle chili powder over mixture; cook and stir one minute.
- 3Return meat to skillet; add tomatoes, water, salt and oregano; bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Drain beans, reserving about half the liquid. Add beans and reserved liquid to skillet; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nopalitos Con Chili (Cactus)
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.4
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 379.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: