Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Have not tried it yet, but it sounds great!
Make and share this Nopalitos Con Chili (Cactus) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 small nopalitos (should be firm 5 inch in diameter size, top sprouts of prickly pear cactus plant)
- 3⁄4 lb chuck (chuck steak)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 med.-size onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup tomato puree (29 oz. can)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon leaves oregano, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (optional)
- Wash nopalitos, watch for small thorns, use potato peeler to smooth over and remove sprouting thorns. Cut nopalitos into small cubes, wash again, drain. Set aside.
- Brown steak in oil after you have cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Use large skillet. Remove cubes with slotted spoon as they brown. Add onions, green peppers and garlic; saute stirring often, until tender. Add nopalitos to mixture, cook 3 minutes. Sprinkle chili powder over mixture; cook and stir one minute.
- Return meat to skillet; add tomatoes, water, salt and oregano; bring to boiling. Lower heat; cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, reserving about half the liquid. Add beans and reserved liquid to skillet; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
I had a large jar of nopalitos left over from another recipe, so I thought that I would try this. I used ground beef instead of the chuck, but otherwise followed the recipe. It was bland and a bit dry-probably in part to using ground beef, so I added a can of rotel tomatoes, about 1/2 c. ketchup, 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce to add a bit more flavor. I think the nopalitos adds an unusual taste to the chili. Thanks for submitting the recipe!