Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A healthy, low fat, low calorie recipe adapted from a book - which in effect - I retrieved from my culinary archives just recently. Karen Meyer's 'The Artful Vegetarian' was published in 1988, a long time ago! I am posting this recipe here for the Healthy for the Holidays Challenge.
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon oil
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups eggplants, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 4 -6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons tamari (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large (preferably non-stick) pan and lightly sauté the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes, until it has softened but not browned.
- Add the eggplants, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, sugar, tamari, parsley and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water for 10-15 minutes, drain well, and pile the pasta into a serving dish and spoon the sauce over the top.
- Notes: Tamari is a pure form of soy sauce, free of chemicals and preservatives. It can be used in any recipe instead of stock cubes, and is available in health food stores and larger supermarkets.