Recipe by yooper
I found this winner in the current issue of "Midwest Living." It intrigued me so much that I immediately went shopping for the ingredients. I was not dissapointed, the combination of the honey and vinegar with the added heat of the red pepper flakes was wonderful!
Top Review by shimmerchk
This is a great weekday meal. I used thin chinese egg noodles and added 2 cloves of minced garlic. We thought the flavor combination was pretty good but it was too saucy for us since we like a drier noodle dish. I would definitely make this again, but I would half the sauce recipe and let it reduce just a little bit more to concentrate the flavor and then I would add the noodles to the pan just before serving so they can absorb some of the sauce. It was a tad too sweet for us so I believe I will add some oyster sauce and reduce the honey to 1 tablespoon next time. Thank you for posting this recipe, I know we will be enjoying it again soon!
- 4 ounces angel hair pasta (I used 4 packets of ramen noodles)
- 12 ounces beef sirloin steaks or 12 ounces beef top round steak
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups sliced bok choy or 4 cups baby bok choy
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into julienne strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Keep warm.
- Trim the fat from the beef.
- Partially freeze beef and then thinly slice into thin strips across the grain.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, honey and red pepper.
- Set aside.
- Add the oil to a wok or a 12-inch nonstick skillet.
- Preheat over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and stir fry for 15 seconds.
- Add bok choy and onion; stir fry for 1 minute or till vegetables are crisp tender.
- Take out the vegetables from the skillet.
- Add beef to skillet, and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Push the beef from the center of the pan.
- Stir sauce, and add it to the center of the pan.
- Cook and stir till thick and bubbly.
- Return vegetables to the pan.
- Stir all ingredients together to coat with the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 1 minute more.
- Divide warm pasta among four plates and top with the beef mixture.
- Serve immediately.